Download our free guide to the ESOS compliance deadline
Business leaders need to be aware of the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) being run by the Environment Agency. Undertakings that meet the criteria below, must comply by December 2015 or face fines of up to £50,000 for non-compliance.
Who does it affect?
1) An undertaking which has 250 or more employees, or
2) An undertaking which has less than 250 employees, but has:
- an annual turnover exceeding €50 million and
- a balance sheet exceeding €43 million, or
3) Part of a corporate group which includes an undertaking that meets criteria 1) or 2)
What does it mean to those affected?
All large businesses who meet the requirements above have to start submitting energy reports on all areas of their business from December 2015. This includes energy used by the transport section of the business, as well as other areas such as lighting, heating, office equipment and more.
ESOS has been brought in to improve environmental sustainability whilst increasing business profitability, by requiring audits of all energy usage throughout the business.
What to do next?
The Green Journey is here to help you report on your transport energy usage with a whole range of tools. With our own compliance with ISO50001:2011 Energy Management System accreditation. We can also advise you on how to approach energy assessments for the rest of your business. Follow these steps towards compliance:
- Early 2015 – Work out if your business qualifies for ESOS
- During 2015 – Undertake audits on your energy usage across the business
- 5th December 2015 – Final date for first reporting period
- Beyond 2015 – Audits to be carried out once every 4 years to continue compliance
The Green Journey is here to help
The Green Journey can help you by providing:
- Fuel cards for fuel usage data
- MileageCount for accurate mileage data
- CO2 Count emissions reporting for fuel consumed
- eServices for paperless billing and account management
- Online portals for reports on your fleet